Thursday, June 12, 2008



Last week 3 of us stopped by to visit another PCV at her host family. This is the father of the home. We learned something about Armenian hospitality that day as our 15 minute visit became several hours as the bread, cheese, yogurt, chicken, and beverages magically kept appearing on the table in front of us. It can cause some "cultural challenges" for keeping time commitments as I discovered two days later. My "mother" expect me home in 15 minutes when we passed by this home again. They invited us to come in again. The obvious fact that there is no "short visit" as a guest to an Armenian home forced me to politely say "No." It felt rather rude not to go in...........after their generous hospitality a couple days earlier. But I decided it was better than having my "Mom" shake her finger at me (again) with the words "A Mot"........or "shame on you." But even the scoldings feel like love.

2 comments:

Mayra said...

Wow Mr. Garvey I didnt even recognize you! your looking younger! Are you trying to impress some Armanian Ladies!? J/K...So you have a new Armanian mom now hu!

Anonymous said...

Jack, I'm so impressed with all of this--your experiences, your openness, your technical know-how. Please continue to jog us with an email every so often as it helps me remember to check in and see what you're up to.

I'm busy trying to lose some weight and get in shape for the Tibet trip. We're unsure we can get in, but are acting as if it will work out.

love, Kathy