Monday, June 30, 2008




Last weekend I got to join my Host Father's brother as he took his son back from a home visit to the army base for his second year of service. We stopped for some fresh produce for the meal that was coming up at the end of our journey. I could not resist the photo of the laundry hanging across the Main Street when we stopped. In the small villages everybody knows everybody's business anyhow, so I guess having a rip in your BVD's is not a big deal...........for it is public information on the clothes line!! About halfway into our journey, we saw a horse tethered along the highway so we joined him for a group photo. The country was beautiful, verdant hills and clouds dotting the background. Two days later I found out this is the area, Dilijan, that I will be assigned to after August 15th for my 2 years of service. I felt like I was at the location for the "Sound of Music" although something tells me my perception might change when we are into our 5th month of winter!! (Will find out if my REI purchases live up to their pricing.)

We are putting on a 4th of July party for our Host Families ( no cooking for them for a change...) and then we visit our future sites from July 9th through the 14th. Dilijan is known as a tourist site for visitors from neighboring countries and I will be working in the Dillnet Business Promotion Center that works to expand the influx of the tourist dollar. This is not an industry I have any experience in so I hope I can make a contribution in some way. I am looking to my upcoming visit to the area and seeing the forests and nature preserve they are known for.

Hope your 4th of July......is filled with light and joy.

1 comment:

DP in Davis said...

Jack,
You are so cool! This is an inspirational journey. I just got your info at the Monday night meeting and am so happy to see how well it is going for you.

In Faith,
Diane