Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pied Piper in Armenia

Although life is very traditional, it is still full of spontaneous events. I went for a walk the other day down the street and saw a 3rd grade boy I knew carrying his soccer ball. I asked him in my faltering Armenian whether "he was any good." The ball is being kicked my way a minute later. Then another boy appeared, the another, slowly some of the young girls also joined our rather impromptu event. When the numbers good too crowded for soccer, we formed a circle and switched to volleyball passing......how long can we keep it going. When someone goofed and the ball rolled a couple blocks down the street, we all chanted "Esh".....and laughed!! Donkey is Armenian is "esh" but it was all good-natured teasing. I returned a couple days later......and we re-created our game. I think the local kids don't know what to do with a "papeek" playing game in the streets. Since I don't have my garden to work in anymore, they better get used to it!! I need the exercise and thoroughly enjoy the kids' energy.

1 comment:

dyannne said...

What a good papeek you are! I didn't have that kind of energy 25 years ago! Good going