Saturday, June 21, 2008

Room With a View


Today we just returned from a quick trip to the capital, Yeravan, the only city with over 1M people. We have a city of 30,000 (Cherentsavan) that we come to once a week to meet with the other Volunteers who are in the other 5 villages besides ours. I took this picture of another village across the ravine from my bedroom window. Our village, Karenis, has 1130 people.......well, really 1138 since we came to town. Wonderful folks and a very "life-friendly" pace of life. The only time I saw anyone hurrying was my House Mom trying to get the pigs back in the pen. Armenia has survived centuries of oppression and the family bonds and cultural pride are the backbone of the country. When my struggles with the language start to shrink my world, a couple minutes of looking out my window put things back in perspective quickly. I am soaking up all this wonderful scenery and weather as we have all heard the stories of 6 months of winter that are in our future.

2 comments:

GG said...

Hi cousin Jack! Greetings from Minnesota where it is finally summmer-I think we may have had a 6 month winter this year
It is so interesting hearing about your experiences and your new Armenian family. Thanks for posting on this blog.

Mayra said...

Hey Mr.Garvey Nice view! it looks so relaxing! Your luck to get to be OUT OF the Us for a couple years, with the economy being so low and many people losing jobs why would you want to be here seing all this mess! Its really bad, SelectBuild is getting ready to do a MAJOR lay off this Thursday, so who knows mybe i will be out of a job now! I guess we just have to wait and see. Well take care and enjoy yourself take the time to enjoy the many great places our world has to offer!